Jacques Villeneuve signs with the WRC Albatec Racing team. (Photo: Courtesy of Albatec Racing)Jacques Villeneuve has signed up to drive a Peugeot 208 in the full FIA World Rallycross championship, which features a round at Trois Rivieres in Quebec in August.
The Canadian veteran, who will drive for the Scottish-based Albatec Racing team, has already tested the car at Dreux in France.
Read more to see an action clip of Villeneuve tearing through a testing circuit in France…

“I am really looking forward to entering the rallycross arena with Albatec Racing,” said Villeneuve. “With my previous ice-racing experience, I’m excited about driving sideways in a 600bhp, four-wheel-drive Peugeot 208 over the combination of loose and tarmac surfaces, not to mention the jumps. With the added incentive of it being an FIA World Championship, the opportunity was really too good to miss.
“We had a very successful test in France. I was very impressed with the quality of the team, particularly on the engineering side – it reminded me of my time in F1. The car is just so responsive, the power is amazing and with 600bhp to play with, who wouldn’t be excited? I was pleasantly surprised by how reactive the car is to any changes, and I’m very much looking forward to getting into the events.”


His team mate and team boss Andy Scott said: “He brings with him a wealth of experience and an outstanding pedigree across all disciplines. He is renowned for his technical excellence and ability to drive any car to its limit, and I was very impressed with how quickly he got to grips with the car in France. I am very eager to see how he settles into the 600bhp Peugeot 208 during his debut year in rallycross.”